Fifth generation gull wing takes Black Series to a new level
“A fascinating mix of breath-taking design, outstanding driving dynamics and uncompromising lightweight construction”… is how Mercedes-AMG describes its high-end super sports car version of the gull-wing model, the new SLS AMG Coupé Black Series.
And for once, the hyperbole so beloved of the car industry does seem to fit the occasion.
In accordance with something called the AMG lightweight performance strategy, the Black Series has a DIN kerb weight of 1550kgs, achieves a power/weight ratio of 2.45kg/hp and a 6.3-litre V8 donk that generates a power output of 464kW (631hp) at 7400rpm and accelerates the gull-wing to 100km/h in 3.6 seconds.
Throw in coil-over ride control performance suspension, a ceramic composite brake system and light-alloy wheels with newly developed sports tyres and things are certainly starting to look good for this the fifth in the series of ‘blacks’.
An electronically controlled rear-axle differential lock and DCT7-speed sports transmission is further icing on the joint-venture bun that seems to have sent chairman of Mercedes-AMG Ola Kallenius into something of a Bavarian beatitude.
“The new SLS AMG Coupé Black Series is a perfect study in the one hundred percent transfer of technology and engineering from motorsport to the road.
“We have drawn inspiration from the worldwide success of the SLS AMG GT3 customer sport racing car on both a conceptual and a technological level.
“The most dynamic gull-wing model of all time, etc., etc….”
Other impressive bits include modified oil bores in the crankshaft, new crankshaft bearings, a new oil pump and high-strength screwed connections for the conrods.
The water and oil cooling system for the engine and transmission has been trickled up and a gas-filled strut braces the V8 onto the body, effectively eliminating undesired load change reactions in highly dynamic driving on the racetrack.
The 6.3-litre V8 engine is hand-built at the AMG hand-finishing section in Affalterbach, according to the philosophy ‘one man, one engine’.
“This hand-made quality is confirmed by the black AMG engine badge bearing the responsible engine fitter’s signature which is a hallmark of the Black Series models,” added Ola.
The new developments include:
- AMG RIDE CONTROL performance suspension with tauter basic tuning and electronically controlled two-stage damping (Sport, Sport +) for individual adjustment to the preferred personal driving style.
- Coil-over spring retainers to enable adjustment of wheel loads for personal race track set-ups.
- Elastokinematics 50/42% more rigid (front/rear axle) for greater stability in fast double bends.
- Track width increased by 20/24 millimetres (front/rear axle) for added grip in fast bends.
- New wheel carriers on front axle and new front stabiliser tuning for added grip, reduced roll angle in fast cornering.
- AMG 10-spoke light-alloy wheels, in particularly light forged design with optimised strength, painted matt black with high-sheen finish, dimensions: 10×19 at front; 12×20 at rear. Weight saving: 4.0kgs.
- Newly developed Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 sports tyres. Dimensions 275/35 R 19 at front and 325/30 R 20 at rear.
- AMG speed-sensitive steering with newly defined power steering characteristic.